What is a hoarding and why is it required?

Hoardings form a protective barrier between public thoroughfares and construction sites.  They can include fences and/or scaffolds at ground level as well as overhead protective structures.

What are the different types of hoardings?

There are three hoardings classifications:

  • Type "A" are vertical protective structures constructed in plywood timber or other approved materials and are at least 2.1 metres in height
  • Type "B" refers to overhead protective structures
  • Type "C" refers to type "B" hoardings with overhead sheds or storage

Where is hoarding to be located?

Hoardings should be located as close as possible to the boundary line of the property. In some cases, Council may allow hoardings to encroach over part of a Council nature strip, provided that adequate space is provided for pedestrians to walk past the site.


How do I apply for a hoarding?

If you would like to apply to erect a hoarding please complete submit an application via Council's Online Development Hub.

Please ensure that your application includes details/plans of the proposed hoarding to be used. Your application should also show the location of the hoarding around the property on a site plan, the height of the fence and detail the expected timeframe that the hoarding will be in place.


What are the fees to apply for a hoarding?

Fees for hoarding applications are outlined in Tamworth Regional Council 2019/2020 Fees and Charges.