The Tamworth Region is proud of its strong and diverse sporting culture. The Tamworth Regional Sports Awards were established by Council to celebrate the outstanding achievements of individuals, clubs and associations in our community.
Do you know someone whose sporting achievements should be celebrated?
Do you know someone who should be recognised for their contribution to our sporting community?
2021 Nominations are open from 9am 30 September to 5pm 20 October, 2021.
Sports Team Awards
- Junior Sports Star of the Year: Open to individuals aged under 18 years at 09/10/2021.
- Senior Sports Star of the Year: Open to individuals aged 18 years and over at 09/10/2021.
- TRC Sports Person of the Year: An overall Sports Star of the Year will be automatically selected from one of the two Individual Award winners.
- Junior Sports Team of the Year: All team players must be aged 17 years and under at 09/10/2021 to be eligible in this category.
- Senior Sports Team of the Year: At least half of the players must be aged 18 years and over at 09/10/2021.
- Coach of the Year: The Coach of the Year awards an individual coach who has excelled in sport coaching. Factors considered in assessing this award include; achievements, attitude, dedication, knowledge and communication skills.
Development and Achievement Awards
- Sport Development Award
The Sport Development Award is aimed at recognising the achievements of clubs and/or associations during the eligible period with regard to elements including sport promotion, growth, facility development, events, administration/service improvement, education etc.
- Ken McKenzie Award for Services to Sport
The Services to Sport Award recognises services by volunteers and administrators for any length of time. This may be cumulative over a number of years or for a significant event/activity during the eligible period.
- Cara Hickson Award
This award is for a special achievement in sport. It is an opportunity to nominate a person who has done something outstanding in their chosen sport, achieved a result under exceptional circumstances, plays or is involved in an out of the ordinary sport.
- Local Achiever Award
This award is open to anyone of any age who has achieved on a local level. This award provides an opportunity to recognise an outstanding performance in one game or over a season, a milestone, a ‘play of the day’ or any other significant achievement in a local competition or event.
- Tamworth Olympic Honour Wall
The Criteria for Tamworth Regional Local Government Area (LGA) Olympians is as follows:
1. Nominees must have represented their sport at an Olympic level (summer, winter, or Paralympics).
2. Nominees must have received the majority of their primary and secondary education in the Tamworth LGA.
3. The nominated Olympian’s sports skills must have been initialised and/or developed within the Tamworth LGA. Examples of non-qualification include: a person who was born in the region but left when aged 6 only to later become an Olympian aged 26; someone who came to the region for a short period of time for coaching or sports facilities but was not born or educated in the region.
Please note, in the advent of an appeal, the Sports Working Group would propose a recommendation to the Tamworth Regional Councillors to consider.
- Tamworth Regional Sporting Hall of Fame
The criteria to become a member of the Sporting Hall of Fame is as follows:
1. Nominees must have represented and/or been selected for Australia in a playing capacity, in a competitive sport at a senior* level that is recognised by the Australian Sports Commission, the Australian Institute of Sport and any other national body.
2. The nominated athlete must have received the majority of their primary and secondary education in the Tamworth LGA.
3. The nominated athlete’s Australian sports skills must have been initialised and/or developed within the Tamworth LGA. Example of non-qualification include: someone who came to the Tamworth region for a short period of time for coaching or sporting facilities but was not born or educated in the region.
*Senior means no age group, no junior, no country level, no veterans, no A teams, no Prime Minister’s selected teams.
- Nominations can be made for individual sports stars, teams, coaches or administrators.
- The nominee must be a resident of the Tamworth Regional Council Local Government Area (LGA) or must have lived in the area during the qualifying period.
- Nominations are for achievements in sport (e.g. performances, representative selection, contributions etc.).
- The performance qualifying period for the awards is from 1 January, 2021 to 9 October, 2021.