NTL Ground Handling Crew receiving their award from
Cr Tim Coates and Mr Kevin Anderson.
The Tamworth Regional Council Access Awards recognise the invaluable contribution of businesses and community groups who have shown initiative in making their business or service accessible to all people in the community
An accessible community is one in which all facilities and services are open and available to people with disabilities, providing them with the same opportunities, together with the rights and responsibilities enjoyed by all others. Such access includes the built environment (access to buildings) as well as transportation, communication and technological systems, employment practices, occupational health and safety, access to information, recreational and social facilities and services and complaints procedures.
Tamworth Access Awards - 2012 Winners
- NTL Ground Handling Crew – Tamworth Airport
- Rural Fit
All these businesses were selected due to their high level of customer service to people with a disability and ensuring they received quality service that met their needs.
The type of activities deserving of an Access Award include:
- advocacy on behalf of people with a disability
- major contributions to community life for people with disabilities
- improvements to access to buildings including lifts, ramps, automatic doors, signage etc
- communication systems improving access to services – large print, Braille, internet access etc
- employment strategies for people with a disability
- training of staff in access awareness
- sponsorship for people with disabilities or activities promoting access
- inclusive practices and policies
How to make a nomination
- Download Nomination form: Microsoft Word Format or PDF Format
- all nominations must be made on the official Tamworth Regional Council nomination form
- nominees must be businesses of the Tamworth area or provide a service to the people of Tamworth
- Businesses or services may not nominate themselves for the award
- Nominations must be supported by one nominator and one referee
- Past recipients of the Access Awards are ineligible to receive an award
Nominations for 2012 closed on Friday 19 October 2012. The decision of the assessment panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Completing a nomination
Please complete all sections on the nomination form (download nomination form, above).
Send completed nomination forms:
- in person to: Tamworth Community Centre, Darling Street Tamworth
- by post to: General Manager, Tamworth Regional Council, PO Box 555 Tamworth NSW 2340
- in person to: Tamworth Regional Council, Ray Walsh House 437 Peel Street Tamworth
An independent panel consisting of representatives of the Tamworth Access Group and staff of Tamworth Regional Council will assess nominees. A TAG member will complete an assessment form on each nominee. Judges will be looking for businesses/services who have:
- shown initiative in their work for the community
- achieved significant benefit for people with a disability
- challenged traditional assumptions about people with a disability
More information on the Tamworth Access Awards
Further information and/or additional forms are available at Tamworth Community Centre, telephone (02) 6766 4480, fax (02) 6766 9866 or email: email@example.com or Tamworth Regional Council, Ray Walsh House 437 Peel Street Tamworth or can be downloaded above under the heading: "How to make a nomination".
The Access Awards are an initiative of Tamworth Access Group and Tamworth Regional Council.
Photo from left to right: Cr Col Murray presenting the 2011 Overall winner award to Tamworth City Librarian Pam Langbridge.