Local legends are being called on to carry the Queen’s Baton in the Tamworth Region as it prepares to host the Queen’s Baton Relay.
The eyes of the Commonwealth will be on the Region on January 31, 2018 as the Baton journeys through Tamworth towards its final destination, the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) Opening Ceremony on 4 April 2018.
A community nomination program offers Tamworth Region residents an opportunity to carry the Baton. Across Australia approximately 3,800 batonbearers are needed.
From today until 15 May 2017, anyone can nominate a person who inspires them to be great. Nominations can be made here.
The GC2018 are looking for people who:
- Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community; or
- Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
- Are an Australian citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).
Successful Batonbearers will not be announced until October 2017.
With Tamworth one of the Australian Celebration Communities for the Gold Coast 2018 Queen’s Baton Relay, a special celebration event is being planned to coincide with the Baton’s arrival in Tamworth on January 31, 2018. It will give as many local residents as possible to be part of the excitement. More details will be announced later in 2017.